The following position is to be occupied at the University of Rostock, Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Department of Visual & Analytic Computing, Cognitive Methods for Situation-Aware Assistive Systems Junior Research Group. The Position is for the duration of three years starting on 01.03.2020 within the Project „BehavE – Behaviour Understanding through Situation Models for Situation-aware AssistancE“ for the topic of development of a methodology for the automatic learning of situation models from heterogeneous data sources with methods from the field of natural language processing and machine learning.
Scientific staff position (PhD candidate)
(Salary scale 13 TV-L, full-time position, fixed term, qualification position)
- development of a methodology for the automatic learning of situation models from heterogeneous data sources (e.g. from textual and sensor data)
- development of methods for learning of causal models from heterogeneous sources based on natural language processing and machine learning approaches
- implementation of the developed methods in a prototype system for the automatic generation of situation models
- experimental evaluation of the situation models with application in the domain of assistance systems for people with dementia and their caregivers or assistive systems for healthy ageing
- supervision of student assistants and student works in the context of the project
- publication of the results
Requirements for applying to the position:
- successfully completed university degree (Diplom, Master or comparable) in the field of computer science with a good grade
- founded theoretical and practical knowledge and experience in the field of artificial intelligence / computational intelligence, especially machine learning and natural language processing
- practical knowledge in working with sensor data for behaviour interpretation
- ability to work practically and experimentally with existing current software infrastructures from the fields of machine learning and artificial intelligence
- ability and interest for independent research and for presenting results in scientific publications
- good knowledge of written and spoken English and German language
- self-organisation and ability to work in interdisciplinary research groups
- the applicant’s commitment in working on his / her own research qualification is expected
- a diverse and ambitious topic in a university with traditions, that however offers innovative, modern and family friendly atmosphere in a city located on the Baltic Sea
- contract according to the regulations of the contract rate for the public sector of the state (TV-L)
- the option to work on her / his own doctor degree
- part-time position
- compensation according to salary group 13 TV-L given that the personal and rate requirements are fulfilled
The position is also suitable for part-time work. In case, such applications are submitted, it will be proven whether the request of part-time work is possible.
The position is a fixed-term position according to § 2 (1) WissZeitVG.
University of Rostock is following the university management guidelines.
Equality is an integral part of our policy towards personnel. Applications of candidates with impairments or equivalent persons are welcomed. The University of Rostock aspires the increase of women in research and teaching and explicitly welcomes highly qualified women to apply to the position. Applications from persons with foreign nationalities or with migration background are also welcome.
If so desired, the staff council can be involved in the application procedure. In such case, please include in your application documents a formless request for the involvement of the staff council.
We are looking forward to your applications per Email with the standard documents, that are to be submitted at firstname.lastname@example.org or to email@example.com no later than 15.01.2020. When sending your application, please use the subject “Ausschreibung D 190/2019“. Only applications that are submitted on time will be considered. Please, submit your application together with all relevant documents in a pdf format as a single file. The protection of your personal data is very important for us. To ensure this, your data will be collected, processed and used according to the data protection regulations.
Application- and travel costs cannot be covered by the State Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. For further questions, please, contact us under:
Department of Visual & Analytic Computing Dr. Kristina Yordanova, Tel. 0381/4987432
Staff service Franziska Braatz, Tel. 0381/498-1291